UTMB are striving to translate our significant research expertise in toxicology into clinical innovations that can be used to better identify and treat patients affected by many of the millions of toxicological compounds in our environment.
Research interests include:
- Dissecting the tripartite interaction between mosquitoes, their microbes and the pathogens they transmit.
- Identifying and characterizing the molecular mechanisms facilitating bacterial symbiont – mosquito interactions.
- Understanding how adaptation to the mosquito host shapes symbiont genomes.
- Developing new genetic tools to manipulate insect vectors.
- Investigating novel microbial control approaches to reduce arthropod-borne disease.